Sunday, June 15, 2008

Brian Eno : Before and After Science

ground

Creating an image of a clear cut forest and living here in the Northwest proved to be an educational experience for me. I envisioned a painting of a road cutting through my UPC trees and was half finished before even taking on the idea of what the background ought to be. I thought first of painting in a forest backdrop into which the bar code trees would simply melt, but soon realised that in the real world here in Northwestern Oregon there is a setting where it is quite common for a treeline to flank both sides of the roadway in an otherwise barren landscape. This is how the land has been traditionally clearcut here, stripped of all vegetation except along the sides of the roads, so that the tourists passing through don't get too upset by the devastation, and go home to write their congressman with environmental concearns. While I was simply seeking a logical visual solution for the background of my painting, I stumbled upon a politically charged image, and many viewers of this painting were more interested in my political stance than in my compositional concerns. In the end the painting was purchased by a collector who was most interested in it's connection to Brian Eno's record from 1978, which had provided me with both a bar code for the composition of my lovely stand of trees, and the seemingly random set of numbers across the bottom of the composition.


45 x 60
oil on canvas
2006

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the painting and the chance to see chance operation take on a leave-nothing-up-to-chance self-expression. I, too, am guilty of being entirely enraptured by how the painting came about and by the interesting restrictions the define its composition.

I found your page by searching Eno's name. I also found this strange entry which might tickle you.

Thanks for sharing your painting and ideas.