Saturday, September 20, 2008

Never Trust the Fox


left panel
15 x 60

right panel
15 x 60

I can run I can I can. This is another painting that got bound up in my decade+ hiatus. During a brief time where I had a small studio in a single car garage at an apartment where I lived in 1991, I was able to work on three paintings. The right panel of this diptych was freshly begun when I stopped work and moved to new digs, where I was unable to manage a satisfactory work space. The dimensions of the canvas had been specific to cover the ugly backside of some kitchen cabinetry that faced out into the living room of that apartment. My oldest daughter was three when I stopped working on it. It was a well defined rough sketch at the time, and used it for decor on the walls of various bedrooms that my daughters shared throughout the next ten years or so. It was however far from a finished work. When I resumed work in 2002, I was met with serious protests from my girls, who had grown up with the unfinished painting as a part of their lives, and didn't appreciate the changes that it began to undergo. Free from the original constraints of covering the ugly cabinet work in a long forgotten apartment, I began to re think this project and decided to develop it further as a diptych with text elements, similar to the word paintings I had done in previous decades. In addition, I am now in the process of fabricating an ornate gilded picture frame with the title " Never Trust The Fox"carved onto it as a decorative element and a part of the conceptual foundation of the piece. The panels go together as a long, horizontal mirror image with the text on the left and the folk art styled image on the right

Oil on canvas
15 x 120
1991/2002/frame in progress

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Dane, Those graffitti/concept pieces from the 70's are wonderful. I think we should show them at the ArteryPDX. I am anxious to see the "I can run. . ." piece with its carved frame. Personally, I love words in art, as a design element or to add meaning or a hint at the artist's intent. I am always puzzled by those nonrepresentational, totally abstract painting with an "Untitled" title. What if that amorphous red shape evokes some negative, fearful emotion when you, the artist were really intending joy and radiance? Isn't art about communication? Then again, I am starting to think that too much info about the work and about the artist influences the first impression which should be a more pristine experience. Oh, how rambling and pedantic in the morning. tlak soon, e

Anonymous said...

this is awesome. and i know the frame but will have to imagine it finished. brilliant.