Saturday, March 15, 2008

Tennis Anyone?


Well, going deep into the archives again! From the same period in early 1977 as "All About Surface" I came up with this solution to an assignment to work with light. A painting in triplicate! I don't know what became of these and had forgotten that they existed until I found a slide image of them and scanned it to disk to include in my portfolio. Sorry about the dust scanned with the slide, it's all I have and I doubt that these paintings exist anymore! I don't recall most of my thought processes behind this exercise but the tennis balls made their way into an assignment to create a series of paintings later that semester. What interests me about it now is that it is essentially three identical paintings, which is what I happen to be working on right now. After many years of creating landscapes from subconcious recollections, I have recently begun to accept photographs occaisonally as source material for painted images. For my cucrrent triptych I refered o a photograph for my starting point, but the really interesting part of the process is duplicating the loose brushwork from the initial painted interpretation of the photo, onto the subsequent canvases without using the photograph at all. The end result is very similar but the mental process is quite different (and frustrating to a large extent but the discipline seems to be worthwhile as the finished product is developing into a fairly interesting set of paintings!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im guessing 3 is your favorite number? This is really cute. Something I might have done, but just the one. Actually like the dust!